Sunday, October 11, 2015

Off-year election 2015

Virginia has its state legislature elections in odd years.  In 2015, all 140 seats are up for grabs.  Executive office elections are in 2017.  That's 100 in the House of Delegates (two year terms) and 40 in the Senate (Four years).

I'm in no condition to ride, and will be hard pressed to make the time, but I need to force myself to do something -- and this 3 year old (or is it 5?) false start is one place.  The other day, I realized that the 25th House of Delegates seat is contested and intersects the 5th CD in a corner of Albemarle County, where I live.  The rest is in the Valley, where I had planned a ride (never taken) around the Piedmont battlefield.  But this Pedal the Fifth project needs a ride, and something of a landmark here in Albemarle.  I hate my local roads... but these are fairly familiar and, though will involve some dismount, I'm fairly confident within my competence.

No camera or such.  I've pondered over the years whether I ought get a smart phone just for these trips -- GPS and Camera and stay on the grid (where there's a signal, at least).  But I'd just as soon be unencumbered and off the grid.  At least while I get my feet wet.

Bragging on the fifth?  Chiles peach orchard.  The Miller School.  The Plank Road.  Claudius Crozet and the railroad.  I'm sure there will be much else to speak of, after the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment