Sunday, March 30, 2014

Maybe 2014 is the year.

I've gained some weight.  Heavier now than feels comfortable on the bike.  I need to address that.  It is Lent, after all.

I want this blog to be political, but not partisan.  I myself am partisan, in my own weird way.  But this is a blog to take the 5th district to the candidates, and the representatives, not vice versa.  A travel blog.  A man on the street blog.  A rip in the filter, find grounds at the bottom of the coffee cup blog.  (or loose leafs from that herbal tea party treat).

Anyhow, I write because I've just been to a partisan event.  Toward the end of a Greene County Democrat meet the candidate events, I walked in having seen a full parking lot at a church I've been eager for some time to attend.  I thought it might a church function.  It was a party function.

I met Lawrence (no "call me Larry") Gaughan.  I met Ben (no "that's Benjamin to you") Hudson.  Both are unfamiliar names, though most names in politics are to me.  I did read about their candidacy a few weeks ago.  I'm told the choice between them will be made by convention (unless one emerges supreme by acclimation prior to that) on May 31, and not be primary.  I was a bit underwhelmed by both, but hope to have the remedied in the future.

I told them an a party chair there -- for Greene and the 5th district both -- that I own this blog name, which I think is kinda precious and regret not making the intended use of.  I am VA5TH.  That's a mighty responsibility.  Now I need to back that up with visits to Wine and Hunt country in Rappahannock and west Fauquier, presidential sites like Camp Rapidan in Madison, Civil War sites along Lee's retreat, and sites associated with great men such as Booker T Washington and Patrick Henry, not to mention World Heritage Site Monticello, the crown jewel of the 5th.  I need to show the candidates and the current and future representative of the 5th what the district's heritage and populace says about our ambitions and ideals, as well as our appetites and interests.  And perhaps my providential accidental visit to that party event will motivate me to get some of that done this year.

Maybe along the way I will finally meet Robert (Bob!) Hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment